The Goddard Center for Astrobiology (GCA) Greenbelt, MD 20771
The 2011 Undergraduate Research Associates in Astrobiology Program is a 10-week program for undergraduate students interested in working with scientists whose research adds to the current body of astrobiology knowledge. Each research associate (RA) will participate in a specific research program, working directly with one of our Team scientists at Goddard Space Flight Center. The RA will work closely with the mentor to conduct a well-defined investigation, reduce data, and produce an end-of- program presentation. The presentation will demonstrate the knowledge gained over the course of the summer, and will be given in an oral forum during the last week of the program. As a group, the RAs will meet with a different GCA Team member each week to learn more about his/her respective area of research, and to gain a broader view of Astrobiology.
- Housing is paid for by the GCA and is provided by University of Maryland Resident Life
- Dates of Attendance are June 6, 2011
- August 12, 2011 (must be available for all 10 weeks)
- The stipend is $4,500 for ten weeks
- Research Associates are provided with computers and a workspace for the duration of the program
- Foreign National Students must obtained an OPT from their current US University
- The GCA does not sponsor Visas or OPTs.
Selection criteria for the Undergraduate Research Associates in Astrobiology include:
- A demonstrated enthusiasm and interest in Astrobiology
- Interest in scientific research
- Letters of reference from two Faculty members
- The Original Letter of Reference along with two copies should be sent under separate cover by your referrers to Corinne Eby (address is listed below)
- Overall academic quality (honors, awards, GPA, etc.)
Please follow Astrobiology on Twitter.